Thursday, July 1, 2010

Dinosaurs are cool



I mentioned recently that having a boy has opened up a whole new world of crafting and fabric for me. While I love pink and princessy things, it's nice to have an alternative.

The other day I made bub another of these little caps to wear for our very chilly recent weather.

I repurposed some denim (from an old pair of his father's jeans) for the outside, then used a snuggly, cute dinosaur print flanelette that I'd found at Spotlight on a gathering trip recently. Hey, I can justify fabric shopping as modern day "gathering", can't I (men being hunters, women being gatherers :-)? This was one of those "I'll get some now coz I like it and use it for something later" moments. In the past it would not have even caught my eye, but now that I have a boy to think of, it jumped out at me. So it seemed perfect as the lining for the cap.



... and I cut out one of the dinosaurs and did some 'free stitching' with the machine onto the front. I really like the slight frayed edges and sketchy style of the stitching.



The boy seems happy with his cap, and actually keeps this style on, which is more than I can say for any other hat I've tried on him. I wonder if he will end up liking dinosaurs like his mama does :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails