Thursday, June 24, 2010

I know you're not meant to discuss politics with your friends but...

I've just got to say how excited I am to see that we have our first female Prime Minister! Like her or not, Julia Gillard has today broken a barrier and made history in Australian politics.

Time will tell what sort of leader she is and whether she successfully leads her party to victory in the next election... I'll be watching on with interest and the same excitement I felt at seeing Barack Obama elected.

I can't believe it's taken this long to happen but thank goodness it has. An historic day! (have I mentioned I'm excited :-)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for the test post ... I tried to post previously and I couldn't work out how to do it and after typing a rather long message I lost it all. I remember now that the reason why I am a 'blog stalker' and not an interactive reader is that I can never work out how to 'select profile'...

    Anyway - I agree, great moment in history to have a female PM. As a mother of a girl its so wonderful that she will take for granted such role models. As a teenager in the 80's becoming PM seemed no more likely for a woman than flying to the moon. So good on Julia. (Hate the rather unseemly politicking that led to the event .. but that's a different post).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Al,

    I know, the comment system seems way more complicated than it should be. But please don't let that put you off!

    Yes, it's great that our girls will benefit... and our GG & Premier at the moment are also women. The other thing that occurred to me about having our first female Prime Minister is that she is in a defacto relationship - imagine that even 20 years ago, it just wouldn't be acceptable. How far we've come.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails