Thursday, April 28, 2011

A birthday sleepover part 2



Continuing on from yesterday's post...

After the sleepover bags were thoroughly raided the girls got started on their craft activity. It is a must to do craft before a sleepover, apparently (girls after my own heart :-). They decorated a pillowcase each using the fabulous fabric crayons pictured above. It was the quickest and least messy activity I could think of that related to bedtime.



After dinner was The Cake - do you find that the cake is often the most anticipated part of a birthday? I just love how excited children get about it. My girls talk about their cake all through the year, even when their birthdays are ages away!!

Big girl had excitedly gone through our favourite celebration cake cookbook, The Australian Womens Weekly's "Kids Party Cakes" in the weeks before the event and decided on this moon cake to suit the sleepover theme.


Link
Each time I've used this cookbook I've picked up some new tip or trick, and this time it was the coloured textured icing. It's a standard butter icing coloured yellow, which is then sprinkled with sugar that you tint yellow. The sugar smooths off the surface and can be scattered around any dips in the icing, so it's very forgiving of wonky application! It looks great, but just don't think about the fact that you're eating pure sugar. Hmm, maybe that's why sleep came pretty late to the lovely girls :-) (The cake is this favourite quick and easy egg-free chocolate cake).

OK, one birthday down for the year, 2 more to go...

3 comments:

  1. Looks like they had a fab time!! Love the moon cake and the pillow case idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those sleepover bags were awesome but well beyond my creative powers (I could probably just about manage drawstring bags, but those PJs? Not likely.), however, I think I could manage to come up with some blank pillow slips and fabric crayons - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lumina & Kirsten, the pillowcases were a hit, and there was no involvement needed from me for once, so I could just sit back and watch - ah! I only hope her little sister and brother don't take to their own pillowcases with textas ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails