Monday, May 21, 2012

Chocolate orange pudding

Chocolate self saucing pudding is one of those recipes that I have literally been making for years. The recipe is hand written in an old recipe journal of mine that dates back to my uni house sharing days, so that means it's at least 20 years old (yikes!) and I've no idea where it comes from. Perhaps an old housemate?



Anyway, I got out the ingredients last night to make it for our weekly 'movie and dessert night' and suddenly had a flash of inspiration to add something from our fruit bowl. I sometimes add a chopped up banana if there's one looking sorry for itself, but this time the orange was calling me. And it worked out well, lifting it a little above the norm, I think. So I thought you might like the recipe too. If you have your own grubby hand written ancient version I understand you'll probably want to stick with that, but if not, give this a go next time you're looking for something quick and easy to stop the kids whining. Works for me ;-)



Chocolate orange self saucing pudding
(serves about 6)

1 cup SR flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
30g butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup cocoa, extra
1 1/4 cups orange juice/water*
1 orange, zested and juiced

Sift flour, sugar and cocoa into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and stir in the melted butter and milk with a wooden spoon. Stir in the orange zest. Smooth top with back of the spoon.

In a small separate bowl mix together the brown sugar and sifted extra cocoa. *Squeeze the orange juice into a measuring jug and fill up with hot water to 1 1/4 cup mark. Mix this into the sugar and cocoa mixture.

Pour sauce gently onto the pudding and place into preheated oven at moderate heat (180c) for about 35 minutes or til top is firm to touch.

Serve with cream or vanilla icecream and orange zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails