Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Edible christmas gifts

For the past few Christmases I have cooked a batch of something to give to friends, neighbours and anyone who I'd like to know that I appreciate them. I enjoy the planning, cooking and making cute little packages, finishing them with hand printed tags. All very satisfying!

Last year I made jars of caramelised red onion chutney and packaged them with a box of crackers and some brie. The year before was peppermint bark in cellophane bags with pretty ribbons. This year I wanted to try cordials to mix with soda water or iced water (or possibly vodka for the grown-ups ;-) So I tested  out lime this time.

IMG_2943

I tried this recipe, which I liked, though it was a bit sweet (the kids love it, obviously!) and I'll adjust it next time. I also love the look of this rhubarb cordial and will try that one too. And in preparation for the gifts I bought some empty bottles from Ikea.

IMG_2940

I made a little citrus stamp and used it on a hand written tag with some jute ribbon. I packed up a bottle to give to a lovely friend as thanks for a favour, along with a fresh lime to slice and add to her drinks.

IMG_2945

While at Ikea (and will food gifts in mind) I spied the lovely fabric above, which previously had not appealed at all to me, and thought it would make lovely shopping tote bags. See, the sewing sneaks in yet again ;-)

I'll also probably make some more celery salt, one of my favourite little condiments which we use a lot and is quick and easy to prepare, plus there's the opportunity to do some more stamping. And the colour fits well with the Christmas theme too. Important details in the scheme of things!

IMG_0692

... and another option would be Apple Jam, a pretty safe bet that most people will like it.

IMG_6492

I think I'm starting to get into the spirit of Christmas now. A little craft will do that! How about you - planning any edible gifts?

1 comment:

  1. Your little cordial bottles look lovely, and the apple jam sounds delicious. How long does it keep for? We made peppermint bark last year, as well as 'candy cane playdough' for the kids. Don't know what I'll do this year, but I like to choose something the kids can help with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails