Sunday, May 11, 2014

Tova with modifications

I've had a design for a blouse in mind for ages... loose but flattering, with gathers, cap sleeves, a gently curved hem and some interesting details. When I couldn't find a pattern like it I decided to give it a go myself.



The closest design I could think of was the Wiksten Tova so I started with that and modified it.

Firstly I modified the sleeves, as I did on this one to be capped, then did a circular cut-out, binding around it and tieing a bow.



Then for the back I seperated the pattern horizontally along the shoulders so that it made a yoke, added width to the lower piece and gathered it in the centre.

I also modified the collar to be smaller, cropped a few inches off the hem of the pattern and the curved the sides, making the back slightly lower than the front.



The fabric is one of the lovely Japanese lawns from Spotlight that I've been enjoying using lately. It's really soft to wear and washes well too. I love the cute design, and the dusty pink with the little splashes of blue on the birds is really sweet.



In hindsight I don't think I needed the gathers at the back, they make it a bit pouffy. But overall I'm pretty happy with this top. It's easy to wear and a nice change from t-shirts. And the loose fit and drape go well with skinny jeans.

3 comments:

  1. Very cute - I like the sleeve mods. I think the gathers at the back also suit to overall style you've made! What a good feeling it must be to come up with the ideas to change a pattern and have it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! I love that sleeve modification, it's simple yet it gives the top that "great details" look. I have a few simple pattern mod ideas milling about in my head (specifically, a tie neck on a eucalypt tank?) but I have to get over that first sense of intimidation at doing something different than what the pattern instructions call for. Sometimes I have to let things brew for a while before I get up the nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that top was available in a shop I would buy it in a heartbeat. You should start your own label with a top like this in it. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails